List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: SuSE 6.3???
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-09-18 17:53:01

"James (Jim) Hatridge" wrote:

> Hi Werner et al,
>
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Werner Trobin wrote:
>
> > You need at least kdesupport and kdelibs. However, for a
> > really breathtaking KDE 2 experience I recommend installing
> > kdebase too ;)
>
> Well, I checked I've got kdelibs for KDE2. I could not find kdesupport, is
> it ksupp2.rpm?

I assume so, yes. Can some SuSE guy please comment?

> I have both the normal SuSE KDE and KDE2 running. But I still get the
> dep's errors. What now?

That's very strange, then... sorry can't help you with that.

> BTW, I really don't like KDE2. There are a couple of reasons.
>
> #1 they get rid of the bar with the running programs (don't know what you
> call it) I had it at the top of the screen and just clicked on it, no
> problem. I keep the bottom bar hidden. Now I have to use the bottom bar
> all the time on KDE2. ARHHHHH!!!

Yes, known issue. This won't be in 2.0, but if you send some
cookies to Matthias Elter it will be in 2.1 ;)

> #2 I run Linux on a AMD 468/100Mhz. On that KDE runs ok, but KDE2 I click
> on something and go get a beer. It's waaaay too slow, something needs to
> be done about that.

Hmm... that's really a low end system. KDE 2 shouldn't be a
lot more CPU intensive than KDE 1.1.2, but it surely benefits
of some memory ;)
Please try to get rid of all the "non-essential" stuff which
is started right at the beginning (e.g. kxmlrpcd, artsd,...).
As soon as your system starts to swap KDE crawls.

--
Werner Trobin - trobin@kde.org