List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Kspread: Date 00 = 1900 ?
From:       Laurent montel <montell () club-internet ! fr>
Date:       2000-09-18 17:22:21

hi,

Marko Mikulicic wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to congratulate for the great job!

thanks

> Kspread is really fast and has a lot of nice features.
> and it's suitable for use (I have a windows machine at work
> that's used only to run excel).
> I have noticed a couple of strange behaviours (as of 0918 snap):
>
> 1. datum 00 is mapped to 1900. Maybe it should be added a "swich" year,
>     like in win98, wich tells after wich two digit year number to use

It's not me who implement date, it's qt.
In qdate when you have just 2 digits it's 1900.

> 19xx and below
>     use 20xx.
> 2. Is it possible to use a more flexibile date parser ?
>     For example I use the hr date format %d.%m.%Y.  (note the period at
> the end)
>     When writing a date in the cell without that dot it will not
> reckognize it as a date,
>     even when selecting it manually from the "cell format" menu.

For the moment kspread recognize just dates which are in local format.
For exemple in France it's 2/2/99
But I don't know deutch date format.
But if you read into kcontrol->format you can see date format.

> 3. Add an action and a toolbar item for the action "datum format"

I don't understand .

> 4. Add an option to print the background grid

Yes I know kspread doesn't print background.
I will try to correct it

> 5. The conditional cell attributes operates only on integers, but it
> would be
>     nice if it could operate also on date types (or strings). I see that
> there are only
>     relational operation wich are already implemented somewhere for all
> datatypes, since
>     sorting works. Also a "contains" string operation would be great.
>     This little thing boosts productivity incredibly, especially if one
> is used to work.
>     on printed pages.
>     (One step further, but not really critical, would be have a list of
> saved "conditions"
>     which can be applied fast)

It's a good idea, but after kde2.0.

> the following are maybe bugs:
>
> 1. The red line that marks the page margin always shows the
>     margin for portrait, event if landscape mode was selected.

Ok thanks for this report

> 2. Page orientation (Portrait,Landscape) is not saved in the document.

I will look at.

> I think these are little features that sometimes count more than
> a smoother scroll, or a flicker free display;  Because of these things
> many people are still using excel on windows. When these will be
> implemented
> (along the decimal point bug fix) I will install kspread to my sales
> manager box
> and I guarantee that if it pass her tests it will be a rock solid
> product :-)
>
> I'm sorry I can't help you coding right now, I'm very busy,
> but I will join you next week; I tooked into the code and it seems
> readable
> enough to avoid getting lost :-)
>
> Marko Mikulicic

thanks