List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: koffice download
From:       frank <fjtmurray () home ! com>
Date:       2000-09-12 3:46:38

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Debra Earle wrote:

> 1) It's "Gresham".  And the sun is out today, although your point is
> fairly well-taken. <s>

oops...sorry 'bout the bad spelling...and its sunny here today too, a bit
farther north in the nw, but that long grey fall toward winterpit lurks in
the evening air...

> 2) He is also right about the packages ... as hard as I try, I can't seem
> to find a full set that will allow a nice straightforward install.  It
> would be nice to have a single place to go, a single set of instructions.
> Instead there are refs sending me to RedHat, Mandrake etc. and many of
> those links come up empty or with references to files being moved to other
> places that come up empty, or there is an incomplete set of packages with
> a reference to find other packages but no links, and I can't for the life
> of me find a set of instructions that hang with a set of download packages
> neatly enough to successfully install on Mandrake 7.0.

playing the beta game with software that develops at net speed demands both
agility and composure...those coding kde2 and koffice focus on that coding,
as they ought, and those of us gobbling each day's improvements hafta hunt a
bit at times if we want it "right now"...mirrors are slow, links get broken,
bugs wiggle throughout the process, but usually politely put requests for aid
get it from others on lists like this...

the best way to try kde2 now, if you've the bandwidth available, and as
you're "the boss" there, i'd reckon that you do, is to download mdk7.2 from
one of the mirrors, such as rpmfind, and then use rsync to periodically
update it...that way you're not caught in the "failed dependencies" that
hamper many trying to install kde2 in their existing distributions...

but if you do wish to install them in your mdk7.0, the full set of slightly
dated (1.93 rather than 1.94) rpm packages is available here:

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/distribution/2.0Beta4/rpm/Mandrake/

i'd guess that those will soon be updated to the 1.94 version...the packages
ought be installed in this order:

qt
kdesupport
kdelibs