List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: A-standard
From:       "Robert B. Easter" <reaster () comptechnews ! com>
Date:       2000-08-25 19:52:04

On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Wilke Havinga wrote:
> The A-standards work like this:
>
> A4 is indeed 210x297 mm (width x height, 'portrait' format). It is not the
> same size as Letter (I believe A4 is a little heigher, but I'm not sure)

I'm no printing expert, but I have experienced that A4 and letter are not the
same.  I was installing a2ps, apsfilter, gs, and related things on my Slackware
box and initially set everything to A4 thinking that was somekind of standard I
should be using.  I have typical 8.5"x11" paper that you'd buy anywhere.  When
I printed a fullsize page with A4, the bottom would cut off and end up on a
second page.  When I set things to letter, the printing on 8.5x11 worked
normally with a full page fitting nicely on one page like it should.  I am also
pretty sure that when it was in A4 mode, I told the program I was printing from
to use A4.  So A4 would seem to be longer than letter.

--
-------- Robert B. Easter  reaster@comptechnews.com ---------
- CompTechNews Message Board   http://www.comptechnews.com/ -