List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: How should a filter deal with embedded objects?
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-08-23 10:47:29

Shaheed Haque wrote:

> >The subfilters implement a special filter interface (in
> >olefilters/lib). The subfilters neither get the filename nor
> >a store pointer (they just see "their" streams). IMHO the
> >solution would be to implement it in the olefilter and let
> >the subfilters access this.
> >
> >Would this be enough for you, Shaheed?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "this"...I think that the olefilter will have
> to expose some more of the higher level to the subfilter, but am not sure
> what is enough.
>
> For example, if there is an Excel embedded in a Word, must they both be able
> to set the documentinfo's title field? I would think not - this implies the
> need for a subfilter to know whether it is the top level object. Only a top
> level object should be able to set the documentinfo.

This is no problem at all. Please tell me when you need it
and I'll have a look.

> On the other hand, for linking to its child objects, any parent has to be
> able to work out the kostore name of its children (one level below). I don't
> yet know how best to do this. I think I should do a bit more reading of
> code...

Please have a look at OLEFilter::slotPart() -- you can register yourself
there (and an internal URL gets created) and you can query for this URL.

As I said - I never used it and I don't know if it works, but IIRC it
should work.

--
Werner Trobin - wtrobin@mandrakesoft.com