List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Font metrics
From:       cpdrummond () freeuk ! com
Date:       2000-08-08 8:36:39

You wrote:

> From:   Donovan Rebbechi <elflord@panix.com>
> To:     koffice@master.kde.org
> Date:   Tue, 8 Aug 2000 02:09:31 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Re: Font metrics
>

> > I'm assuming these errors are due to the fact that Qt uses X11's font
> > metrics - which aren't exactly that good.
>
> THe on screen display is only a very small part of the problem. What's
> much more severe is that there's no generic way to map a screen font to a
> ghostscript font.
>
> > Before I really continue with this - as it's likely to take a little while
> -
> > does anybody think this would be of any use? Or, possibly, has
> > somebody already started something similar?
>
> I've included some discussion about these font issues in my font
> howto. I'd recommend you at least skim through it if you haven't seen
> it.
>
> To generate fontmap entries, you need to do two things:
> (a)	extract the correct font name from the AFM file. This is easy, and
> 	there are already scripts that do this.
> (b)	Try to "guess" the name QT will use for the font. QT tries to guess

Hello,

I've actaully written a KDE based font installer for Type1 and TrueType
fonts - this will create a Fontmap file to map from the names
used/generated by Qt to the real font names -- so this isn't a real
problem. Also, it'll create .afm files as well.
( see www.cpdrummond.uklinux.net/kfontinst )

As you can read the X11 font name being used by Qt, it is a simple
matter of mapping this to the physical font file by using fonts.dir (and,
therefore [for Type1] to the .afm file as well)

Craig.