List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice and StarOffice
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn-gordon () home ! com>
Date:       2000-07-21 15:38:11

Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I write a column for ZDNet on Linux issues, and this week I'm writing
> about the GPLing of StarOffice.
>
> I would like to find out, from any of the KOffice team, what effect this
> announcement (if any) has on KOffice. Are there any components of
> StarOffice that you would like to intergate into KOffice in the short
> term?
>
> Furthermore, does Sun's intention to build StarOffice components using
> Bonobo rather than KParts affect its usability within KOffice? Does it at
> all effect the balance between KDE and GNOME?
>
> Thanks!
> Evan Leibovitch

Speaking for myself and my perspective, the most useful part about
Staroffice being GPL is the access to to the filter code they have for
importing other file types.  As far as Bonobo vs. KParts, I don't think
Bonobo has matured as much as KParts at this point in time, and I will
personally be very curious to see how well Bonobo works in this regard.
I think this probably has more of an affect on the proposed GNOME Office
than KOffice, but competition is always good :).

Shawn Gordon
President
theKompany.com
www.thekompany.com