List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Why not rename KOShell to Koffice ?
From:       Robert Jones <rjo736 () airmail ! net>
Date:       2000-07-18 11:34:44

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, David Faure wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Lennart Kudling wrote:
> > > So ask: "Are you using kpresenter ?"
> > > Answer: "What's that ? I use koffice."
> >
> > You are mistaken about users. I don't know anyone using KPresenter without
> > knowing it's named KPresenter.
> > Do people say "I'm using Microsoft Office's Spreadsheet program", or "I'm
> > using Excel" ?
>
> Actual conversation:
>
> "What Kind of OS are you using?"
> "I'm using Word."
>
> Cheers,
> Waldo

That reported conversation is so believable that it has a familiar ring to it.
How many people do you know socially (as opposed to professionally, obviously)
that profess to being trained on "The Computer" when, in fact, what they are
trained on is data entry and retrieval in some application that starts
automagically when the machine boots?  I've known a few.

So, perhaps the name proposition sort of depends on the target audience.  Are
you playing to developers, trying to idiot-proof it to suit the lowest common
denominator (as above) or attempting to make it comfortable for those users who
fall somewhere in the middle of the computer-literate spectrum?

There really *are* people in the middle!  ;-)

Cheers