List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: floating frames (kword)
From:       "Shaheed Haque" <shaheedhaque () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-07-04 21:52:53

Thomas,

>hmm, did you manage to merge that with my changes. I kinda rewrote the
>whole
>file.. (commited last weekend)

Yes, it did seem to merge OK, but I have no problem if you need/want to redo
it.

> > I did see the need for the alignment concpt you had, but allowed the
> > implementation subclass to do whatever it needed; no predefined
>alignment
> > types were needed.
>
>How does that work from user users perspective (and which class stores that
>alignment)

Here is my thinking. Originally, I tried to implement KwCharAnchor as a
standalone class, thinking that client classes would have a "has-a"
relationship with the anchor. That didn't work so well because both classes
ended up with pointers to each other. Thus, I decided that the client needed
a "is-a" relationship to the anchor. The anchor communicates with the client
(now a subclass) using pure virtual functions. Thus, when the anchor moves,
it tells the subclass "moveBy(dx, dy)", which the subclass can interpret as
it wishes. For example, a table can ignore the "dx" since it probably only
care about the "dy".

> > If you are interested, let me know. I will resync it to work with the
> > current CVS and make the changed files available via MAIL.
>
>If it compiles and doesn't crash kword. I would say simply commit it.
>
>Good luck in merging with my commits from last weekend ;-)

The new code works, but I have seen many frame-related crashes with and
without my code, so it is hard to tell which are down to me. Since you (and
I) now have an interest in fixing these, I propose to check this stuff in.
(BTW: if you/anyone disagrees, let me know before tomorrow night, UK time).

	Thanks, Shaheed