List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: And the next victim of lib-unloading is..... QClipBoard
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-06-28 21:56:10

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, David Faure wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 07:58:27PM +0200, Thomas wrote:
> > > If only. No, each application has its own clipboard.
> > > You will notice this when you select text in e.g. kedit,
> > > quit the application and then try to paste it. It will not work any
> > > longer.
> >
> > Just curious, are there plans to create a global repository, where
> > current clipboard stuff is transferred when an app quits?
> >
> > Creating the same functionality as I am used to in Windows where I can
> > always open a new app and start pasting.
>
> The clipboard is implemented in Qt.
> So... easier to get that integrated into Qt rather than trying to override
> the way Qt works, IMHO.

I disagree, Qt provides services to single applications. KDE provides desktop
services. A central clipboard would be a KDE feature. (Maybe with some
support from Qt)

> > Maybe only store common objects (text/image/lists of these)
>
> The type of object is not the problem...

Maybe not _THE_ problem, but it is a problem. E.g. KWord stores KWordDrag
objects on the clipboard. Such an object can provide its contents in a number
of different mimetypes. A central clipboard would either need to request one
single type (e.g. text/plain) or it would need to request all of them
(text/plain, text/html, application/x-kword). The first option means a loss
of information (e.g. formatting info gets lost), the second option would mean
storing redundant information.

The second option wouldn't be too bad if we can limit the maximum size of the
data to be stored on the central clipboard.

Applications would need to store their clipboard contents on the central
clipboard before quiting.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Make way, KDE/Linux is coming to a desktop near you!