List:       koffice
Subject:    Possible idea for image resizing question (Was Re: Problem with Kword insert...)
From:       "C Y" <smustudent1 () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-06-28 16:49:46

>One thing I find is often the case with quark. People import an image
>4 times in a document and use it on the front cover in 300 DPI (10cm)
>and use it as a thumbnail somewhere else. which makes the resolution
>3000 DPI (because the same image was scaled to 1cm)
>
>These images are printed in whole to the postscript file, often creating
>HUGE files. (Think Gigabytes here)
>
>Designers SHOULD rescale the images themselves!! How this is done in kword
>stays open for discussion.
>
>--
>Thomas Zander

  If possible, the probable best way to handle the above case would to not
mess with the DPI until the print function is called.  Then, instead of
resizing the image in the document, have a print export function which,
during the conversion to postscript (or whatever) handles reducing the size
of the images (if needed) as they are included by checking to see what the
printing resolution is and rescaling everything to that resolution (since
any more would be pointless in any case, being beyond the printer
capabilities.)  Or on a print to file, allow the author to select an output
resolution.  That way, anyone working with the image in the document doesn't
lose anything to rescaling until print time comes, and if they want to edit
something and reprint they aren't stuck with a bunch of images which have
been resized in the document.

  Hopefully I've been coherent. :-)  I don't know if this type of thing is
possible, but if so it would probably be a big help when printing over a
network or fun things like that, as well as saving harddrive space and
making less work for the printer itself.  One last thought.  I don't know
much about postscript, but is it possible to internally (within the
postscript file) make use of the postscript data on an image elsewhere in
the document?  That way, with elimination of duplicate postscript data,
would undoubtedly be the smallest possible file size.  (i.e., the image
stored in the largest size necessary in that document for the printing
resolution being used, and otherwise just references to that data?)

Sorry if my ignorance has nullified any helpfulness as far as these
suggestions are concerned.

Best,
C Y