List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problem with Kword inserting pictures
From:       "C Y" <smustudent1 () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-06-27 16:35:46

>From: Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie@trolltech.com>
>To: koffice@master.kde.org
>Subject: Re: Problem with Kword inserting pictures
>Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:07:06 +0200
>
>On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, C Y wrote:
> > Has anyone else had trouble inserting pictures into a Kword document?
>So
> > far I have encountered the following two issues:
> >
> > When I attempt to insert the picture, my mouse pointer is relocated
>toward
> > the lower right corner of the screen - i.e., no longer in the Kword
> > document.  The picture is inserted, but because of this relocation it is
> > usually a lot smaller than I would wish.
>
>Well, it works like that: You choose a pic, press somewhere and the mouse
>then jumps to a point so that the insert-rect has the original size of the
>pixmap. So if you press and release the pixmap is inserted in original
>size.
>Well, seems to be not very intuitive :-), I'll rather change it so that if
>you have a rect smaller than 5, 5 or so that the original size is used,
>else
>your choosen one.

I think what happened was I tried to insert a screenshot which was
considerably bigger than the page in a picture frame, and that caused
problems.  I used just the insert picture command and that worked OK, but
the frame part didn't want to work. My suggestion for how to handle it would
be that the default handling of any picture frame larger than the page width
or height be scaled down to fit on the page during insert.  I don't know how
hard that would be to impliment, but I think it would save trouble.  When
the image is so much larger than the paper, it gets difficult to handle.

> > Second, when I try to expand it to normal size after the initial insert,
> > the detail in the picture has been lost.  Is this how Kword is supposed
> > behave, or is there a bug?  I would really recommend what is think is
> > normal behavior on word processors - keep the full resolution that was
> > originally in the image until the time comes to print.  It is really bad
> > resize the picture and have it not work.
>
>That's how I implemented it, but doesn't work like that anymore. Will have
>look.

Thanks.  (It's the bug that wouldn't die! ;-)

Best,
C Y