List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: I give up.
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2000-06-25 14:11:28

On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Thomas Zander wrote:
> Sorry guys,
>
> I have put a considerable amount of time into kword, but it's just to hard.
>
> I work as a systems designer in Java. I wanted to look at koffice and C++
> for fun.
>
> But when I want to add a little thing everything falls over me, the design
> of kword is just far from nice OO programming.

Well, kword was a project where I learned programming C++, that's the reason
why it is not very clean OO. But this doesn't mean it can't be improved.

> A simple OO rule; creation of child objects is done in one place, this
> ensures that data consistency is always maintained. Just look at the amount
> of: new KWFrame calls
> a KWFrame* KWFrameSet::createNewFrame() would have been much nicer.

Why not just change it to work like that then? Also I don't agree that this
is always the best way, here it might make sense, yes. In many ways it is
much nicer to pass the parent to the child in the constructor.

> The fact that a frame does not know what type it is....

Is passing one more argument in a constructor really that hard?

--
Reggie (reggie@trolltech.com)