List:       koffice
Subject:    re: request for Kword feature & installation help
From:       Robert Burke <robert000 () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-06-17 17:21:11

Dear Folks:

    Thanks for the work you are doing. I use the KDE platform as my
default platform. I am using the version that came with Red Hat 6.1.

    I have not been able to install Koffice. I look forward to when it
comes out on disk accompanying the next Red Hat distribution. Given that
I have not used Koffice, I still make this request even though you may
have already thought of it. When I was working with vi and nroff, there
were two commands that were most useful. One is ".so" meaning source,
the command being ".so filename", which brought the contents of the
named filed into the current working file where the ".so" was placed.
The other command is ".bp", which is break page. This command placed
what ever text that followed the ".bp" at the top of the next page. I am
currently working with Sun's Staroffice and the only way I can see to
accomplish the same effect is to copy the text from one file to the
primary file and then manually create the space to the next top page, a
most inefficient means. I hope you place such features into Koffice if
not already there. They are most important to me. It is how to keep many
small files that can generate a large one, such as for a book.

    Generally, I request that you place many vi commands into Koffice
that can be executed at the keyboard. I enjoyed using vi because it had
no mouse. There was no such thing as a mouse when I was using it. For
example, using backslash to search was most efficient. I have yet to
meet a menu search that comes with most word processors that is as
efficient or quick. Another was reversing two letters at the cursor,
such as fsat to fast. In proofing, using the backslash to get the cursor
there and then the command to reverse those two letters was lightening
fast compared to using the mouse and erasing then typing.

    I think if you were to incorporate many of the more frequently used
cursor movement commands and many of the dot commands into  Koffice,
that you may win over many people to Koffice. There are still many who
are devoted to vi, especially in the academic world. Since linux is a
clone of unix, I think you have an audience that is sympathetic to linux
and Koffice. Having an office suite that can use either or both in
composing documents, I find appealing. Were you to do this, it would be
a unique marketing tool that no other office suite has.

    I have attempted to install Koffice without success. I was able to
down load it. When I tried to install it with ./configure and make all,
it failed. I have attached a file which is the error message that
occured.

["kde.install.error" (text/plain)]

The below appeared when attempting to install kbattleship and Brahsm. I
supposed it also appeared when I attempted to install Koffice.

checking for KDE libraries installed... configure: error: your system fails at
linking a small KDE application
Check, if your compiler is installed correctly and if yo have used the same
compiler to compile Qt and kdelibs as you did use now