List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Double Byte Character Support Please ...
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-06-04 14:44:25

On Sun, Jun 04, 2000 at 02:50:21PM +0200, Werner Trobin wrote:
> zelda wrote:
> >
> > Dear KOffice developers ,
> >
> >     PLEASE make this an important consideration .... Support Double Byte
> > Character (like Japanese and Chinese) please .... Because the KOffice is
> > still in pre-beta stage so i think adding this support would be
> > relatively easy ... PLEASE ... because other 'competing' office suites ,
> > like StarOffice , ApplixWare , WordPerfect Linux etc. DON'T support
> > double byte character and they are VIRTUALLY USELESS to us Asians ...
> > please , consider our needs and put DOUBLE-BYTE CHARACTER SUPPORT into
> > KOffice ... Many Thanks !!!!
>
> Can some Unicode expert please have a look and tell us what to
> fix because I for one would like to have Unicode support, but
> I simply don't know if using QString's all over the place is
> enough...

No expert, but AFAIK: using QString all over the place is fine.
What you have to avoid is using .latin1(), .ascii() or implicit ascii casts,
and also to check carefully the code that reads input from the user.
Hence the small patch I posted here for kspread (to replace
a nasty .ascii() call), but on the list I got no answer, and
after posting it privately to someone else (Tinkl Lukás), it seems
the patch doesn't fix it all ;-)

Zelda: we are almost there, don't worry. All we need is some more input
(testing) from you and other non-latin1 users ;-)

http://home.clara.net/faure/