List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Questions regarding web page content
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn-gordon () home ! com>
Date:       2000-05-31 5:41:03

Marko Samastur wrote:

> Werner Trobin wrote:
> >
> > Shawn Gordon wrote:

> > > I was under the impression that KSQL was more of a database browswer
> > > than a database.  Is the idea of a dedicated database now going away and
> > > just having a generic front end to 'almost any' other database the new
> > > idea?
> >
> > I have to admit that I've only heared some "rumors" and didn't
> > test/checkout it yet. I don't even know where it is right now :)
>
> I use it. Shawn has the right impression. It's a very nice database
> manager, though it could use some improvement.
> There are already bunch of databases around. Is there really a need to
> add another one?
>
> Marko

To make an Office suite that competes with MS Office for the hearts and
minds of Corporate America (sorry for the regional bigotry :) ) -
something on the level of MS Access needs to come into being.  MySQL and
MiniSQL and PostgresSQL are all rather heavy weight for this task in my
opinion.  You could probably do well with just putting a front end on
ISAM files for that matter, but I think it's a strong issue that should
be addressed.  Actually we are doing some tinkering with the idea at the
moment, which was why i was curious if there was an active initiative we
could lend some talent to.

Shawn