List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Mother of all problems (was Re: Compiling in FreeBSD 4.0)
From:       Bojan Kverh <bojank () amanda ! fri ! uni-lj ! si>
Date:       2000-05-23 15:41:26

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Ricardo Bernardini wrote:

> Finally I've found what was causing most of my problems, I hope somebody can
> learn from it. The problem was I've got the KDE 1.1.2 port installed on my
> machine and thinks like shared objects (libqt.so for example) were in
> different directories, so for example ld found a libqt in /usr/X11R6/lib
> before the good one at /usr/local/qt/lib.

Yes, that's nasty. Don't ever have different versions of libraries in different
directories which are searched by linker, it can cause headaches. :-(
When dealing with several versions of software (like Qt-1.44, Qt-2.0.2 and
Qt-2.1.0) I prefer to keep them in separate directories, namely /usr/qt-1.44,
/usr/qt-2.0.2 and /usr/qt-2.1.0. Then I have a system variable QTDIR in my
profile set to QTDIR=/usr/qt. Then when I need Qt-1.44, I say in the command
line:
ln -s /usr/qt-1.44 /usr/qt
When I need Qt-2.1.0 I may do:
rm /usr/qt
ln -s /usr/qt-2.1.0 /usr/qt
and everything works fine.
You can even write a shell script for changing versions to reduce the
amount of typing. That's one reason why I love symbolic links. :-)

Best regards,

               Bojan.