List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KWord development
From:       dep <dep () snet ! net>
Date:       2000-05-23 0:16:12

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Shawn Gordon wrote:

| Filters are a huge issue obviously, so I'm sure you will hear a lot
| from us.  I'm just curious if anyone ever tried to get ahold of the
| Lotus filters.  They seem to be able to read and write virtually
| every format on the planet.

a little known problem that nevertheless greatly affects the million
or so former OS/2 users who have migrated to linux is the inability
to import docs written in the now-defunct describe word processor,
which was widely used. the linux word processor that can bring therse
in without losing much formatting will get this entire share of the
user base.

if anyone wants to work on such a filter, i have a huge number and
variery of documents created with describe that i would happily
provide for dissection purposes.

as to the lotus filters -- ibm has become mighty linux-friendly, and
might be willing to help out.

--
dep
__