List:       koffice
Subject:    Microsoft proprietary formats must be supported
From:       "Robert T. Drury" <rtdrury () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2000-04-23 16:23:44

Re:
http://linuxtoday.com/stories/17452.html

Here you seem to be appealing to open source programmers to aid in
supporting the effort to make KOffice import Microsoft proprietary file
formats.  I *think* this is the case... the article is quite ambiguous.
I think you need to state with total clarity that KOffice MUST SUPPORT
Microsoft proprietary formats, and that someone needs to either break
into the necessary office in Redmond and steal the formats, or organize
a march onto the floor of the US Senate and demand the required orders
to Microsoft to open the formats, or someone needs to take up a
collection of $20 billion annual license fees to feed Microsoft for the
license, but somehow, one way or another, you need to find a way to
support Microsoft proprietary formats, so that they can be commoditized.
 That's reality.