List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Looking for a niche
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2000-03-20 16:44:51

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 04:57:35PM -0000, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> I would like somehow to support KOffice, (need for a powerful opensource
> office suite in Linux/KDE), so I signed up for this mailing list.
> I'm not really a programmer (I try), but I could write docs, or something.
> If I could do nothing else, what's the opensource equivalent of making tea
> for everyone?

Hehe ;-))) LOL :))
UPS is going to make a lot of money if you deliver tea around the world ;-)))

Well, writing docs is an option - I hope that those who started writing
docs will answer and tell you what remains to be done.
It is amazing though, that there are actually people writing docu
for KOffice, and nobody for all the rest of KDE ;-)

Sometimes, testing needs to be done too.
For instance, I added support for "document is modified, do you want
to save" to KWord, although I didn't write it. This stuff is very difficult
to get right, so here's the job: finding the bugs in that code, by
opening a document, and either doing something that modifies the document and
finding that it doesn't say "modified!" when closing, or the other way
round: doing things that are not supposed to modify the document and
finding that it says "modified!". In fact the same applies to all
KOffice applications. Please report such bugs to me.

But KOffice really needs more developers. I'm saying that in general
(not for you), so that you understand why it doesn't evolve fast enough
currently...

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org