List:       koffice
Subject:    Some UI ideas
From:       Jonathan Singer <jsinger () genome ! wi ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2000-03-16 15:26:26

I've spent a few days looking through KOffice. It looks great! I do have a
few comments about the UI that I haven't seen mentioned in the mailing list
archives.

* In drawing applications (KPresenter, KIllustrator..), I'd prefer to have
the delete key alone be the shortcut to delete the selected object. That's
the most familiar from other apps, doesn't require a key combination when
the key alone doesn't have a different function and seems the most
consistent. (To my mind, deleting an object and deleting text should work
the same way.

* In KPresenter, the arrow keys should move a selected object like they do
in Killustrator, instead of scrolling the document. Fine control of
movement is much more important in object placement than in scrolling.

* In KWord, I'd like to see hitting the down arrow in the last line bring
the cursor to the end of the text. Word used to do this but no longer does,
and I find myself missing it a lot.

* In KSpread, when a new document is opened, the user should be able to
immediately type into cell A1, instead of having to manually make it active.

All IMHO, of course....