List:       koffice
Subject:    Buzz word & Filter API
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       2000-03-12 16:40:33

Hi!

As I'm currently changing the filter API as discussed with
David on IRC[1] I came across all the QCStrings which are
used to pass the filenames.
Do we need KURLs here to be "network transparent" (buzz buzz)?
Is there any additional work necessary to achieve this? (e.g.
some KIO calls or something like that. It would be way too
easy, if not :)

[1] He came to the conclusion that plain XML in tmp files
is ok for toy filters (ASCII :), but sucks for all the
non-trivial filters. Therefore we discussed some possible
solutions and came to the conclusion that "The KDE-way(tm)"
is the way to go - We will make it configurable :)
It will be possible to:
1) Use plain XML via a tmp file as it is done now
2) Use a QDomDocument in the memory (faster, but only
   possible with parts which support (=use) QDom.
   These are: KSpread, KIS (AFAIK),... - but NOT KWord
   and KPresenter (they still use KOML)
3) Use a KoStore (the tar.gz solution at the moment) to
   allow XML and binary data in the document.
4) Access the KoDocument of the part directly. There
   we distinguish reads from writes (const/non const)
   to make it at least a bit more secure. This is the
   fastest possibility, of course.

Did I forget something, David? I hope not, because I lost
the IRC-Log :)

For all the people developing OLEFilters: I'll implement
the new stuff in a way that you won't have to change much
of the code!

So stay tuned.

Werner