List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: trouble with kio->kurl?
From:       "Shaheed Haque" <shaheedhaque () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2000-03-03 17:04:35

>Ehm no. When the breakpoint hits all shared libs are supposed to be in
>memory already. (Apart from those which get dlopened later)

Ah. I presume that filter libraries are dlopened on demand? This is what I
have to do to get a single debug pass for my filter work:

1. gdb kword
2. run with_filename_arg

Note that I cannot set breakpoints in the filter library (actually, even
KoFilter::KoFilter) before step 2, and that after step 2 it is too late
since I am racing against the computer to hit control-C! In practice, I
never win, and so this is not a viable debug technique :-(. Thus, I normally
use the File Open dialog because then I can:

1. gdb kword
2. run
3. while Open File dialog is shown, hit control-C
4. "break KoFilter::KoFilter"
5. continue the debugger and allow it to load my code
6. hit breakpoint at KoFilter::KoFilter

and now I can do whatever I want, since my code is loaded. This is a pain in
the butt, especially if I want to go round again (since gdb cannot set the
breakpoint in non-existent code when the image is restarted). So, what I am
loking for is a way to load the filter library manually. Then I could:

1. gdb kword
2. load the library

and now set breakpoints etc. Is this an inherent difficulty with debugging
Kanossa? Can anyone think of a way around it (perhaps using the gdb "call"
command)?

Until the File Open is fixed, I think I am stuck with debug-by-printf :-(.

	Thanks, Shaheed