List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Menubar and toolbars
From:       "Tomas Furmonavicius" <f1926 () kaunas ! aiva ! lt>
Date:       2000-01-31 16:56:50

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 04:54:48PM +0100, Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> >>From programmers point of view it's of course more interesting to
> >follow position of widgets and secretly change their functionality.
> >But I'm looking from users point of view. Why should something change in
> >toolbar, just because I moved it around ? Toolbar should be atomic -
> >each item must have one and unchangeable functionality and UI - combo
> >box should not be changed to pushbutton or vice versa.
>
> Well, that's depending on how you see it. In my point of view you have actions
> and they are represented in different containers differently. This is e.g. the
> action "set font size" and it's represented differently in a popup-menu, a
> horizontal toolbar and a vertical one.

Aha. Now I see. You think, that the same toolbar in horizontal mode
and in vertical mode are different containers. Maybe it's true from
programmer's point of view, but not from user's. Popup menu and toolbar
are different containers, but toolbar is the same container,
independently of its size, state and position. Making vertical and
horizontal toolbars to work differently makes the UI to complex and
unintuitive.

Tomas