List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: twin kde booting
From:       Keith Antoine <kantoine () eastwind ! com ! au>
Date:       2000-01-29 3:07:56

Christopher Molnar wrote:

Chris, just some comments::

> I am right now out of ideas. I had planned on installing Caldera on my
> laptop to see if I could figure anything out, but the hard drive went out
> a few days ago and I am waiting for it to be serviced, and I don't want
> to take the chance of messing with my server (nebsllc.com) which is
> already giving me fits since updating to RedHat 6.1.

Really !! I have caldera running on this 'beast', that I put together
last year
and is running at 1100 mhz, so no problems with slowness during
./configures and
compiles. Its an Abit BP6 with twin Celerons 433 overclocked to 550 and
smp
kernel 2.2.14 and 192mb Sdram; the prices here for parts are very good,
look at
gamedude.eastwind.com.au/pricesG.html (been a hardware man since 56) I
have never
had any problems with Caldera/Kde combination since the day that I
installed it
(2.3 & 1.1.2).

> You have all the parts to grab the Koffice snapshot of 1-25-2000 from
> ftp.kde.org (or from any of the mirror sites) and do a make on it. It is
> possible that something on your system, one of the libraries, or something
> is not compatable with the binaries that I distribute.
>
> If you do the above get the koffice snapshot and bunzip it into
> /usr/src/kde/koffice. Then:
>
> cd /usr/src/kde/koffice
> make -f Makefile.cvs
> ./configure
> make
> su
> make install
> exit
>
> I would do this with X not running, as this can be a time/memory hog. If
> the above completes without a problem than you should be all set. If you
> get an error message during the config or during the compile something is
> missing or messed up. Post the error message here and perhaps that will
> point us in the right direction.
>
> Oh, yeh, I did have an error during the koffice compile for 1-25 -->
> killistrator did not compile and (hell, I left my build log on my desk
> at work) one other component of Koffice. It was a plugin or something, but
> I know there was one other component that didn't compile. I had to take it
> out of the makefile.
>
> One other suggestion, if you wait to do this until Sunday I can tell you
> what will compile and what I had problems with and how to fix it. If
> kdebase compiles that is when I will probably do another full build.
>
> Sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm sort of short a machine right now.

You have been more than helpful, and I am getting somewhere at last
using
your binaries. The -bin files rather than rpm as they can differ between
distros.

--
Keith Antoine

Step X Step Installation Site: users.nf/linux
Mirror for usrs.nf/linux / www.eastwind.com.au/mirror.htm
Newbies FAQ Calder Lists: users.nf/linux/newbies
Australia : www.eastwind.com.au Kxicq 1511177 Ph: 61 7 33002161