List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Question on Mandrake configuration of Dual KDE environment
From:       Christopher Molnar <molnarc () nebsllc ! com>
Date:       2000-01-21 17:39:55

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Clifford Yapp wrote:

>      I recently downloaded the new KDE2 binary files to attempt an
> instillation on my computer, but I'm running into some rather odd problems.
> I can't attempt to use the new KDE without being sure I can hang on to the
> old one, and I can't figure out how to configure Mandrake to use both of

It is possible, but as with any alpha product, there are risks!

> them.  I'm using as a reference the kde1-and-kde2.txt document. On the
> configuration of the shell scripts, to be placed in ~/bin/kde1, I have two
> problems.  First, I apparently have no directory ~/bin/kde1.  KDE, as well
> as QT, appear to be integrated with the rest of the libs and binaries.
> Second, exporting KDEDIR and QTDIR is a problem. I tried echo $KDEDIR and
> echo $QTDIR to find the current values, but on the first one I just got /usr
> and the second I got nothing at all.  Has anyone successfully configured
> Mandrake to run both KDE 1.1 and KDE 2.0,or know what to do with the setup
> of KDE that Mandrake uses?

in your /etc dir there is a sub-dir named: /etc/profile.d you will find
some scripts there. No matter what you export for KDEDIR and QTDIR the
scripts here will over-write it. I had to fix those scripts first. Then
log out and back in and problem is solved.

The other thing you should watch is the order of the libs in
/etc/ld.so.conf.