List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: A kind of preview... (brainstroming)
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       2000-01-03 19:10:57

David Faure wrote:

[snip]

> >This should work, too. But you have to keep the KFD 'alive' quite long.
>
> That's why you can read "destroy it" after "access the dialog params" in the
> sequence above. I find it simpler, but that's just my 2 cents.

:)

> >> Not sure what you mean. The dialog is associated with the filter, even in
> >> the same lib.
> >
> >No. The filter is a lib and the dialog is a lib.
> >> All that's required is an entry point (a c method) for it
> >> (just like in kcontrol you can have two entry points in the same lib).
> >
> >This would work, too, but it's not necessary to load the whole filter
> >lib just to show the dlg.
> ok
>
> >> This means adding one or two lines to the filter .desktop file, which
> >> is probably what you meant by "the servicetype" - but it's a service,
> >> not a servicetype :)
> >
> >Hmmm... I don't quite understand all the trader & Co. stuff :)
>
> Everyone knows the 1.1.x model : there are mimetypes, applications
> registered for a mimetype
> (or more than one).
> Well, it's the same thing, made more general :
> there are servicetypes, and services registered for a servicetype (or more
> than one).

Ahh :))

> >> Hmm, the title is wrong. Parts don't do "load" currently, do they ?
> >> Only main windows do. There is no additionnal method call to make -
> >> I'd remove this section.

> >> (already does)
> >> (in fact it's not KoMainWindow but KoFilterManager)
> >
> >Yeah, but the KoFilterManager is not able to add the dialogs to the
> >KFD because it belongs to the KoMainWindow object.
>
> Then this should be changed. I'd prefer that all the filter stuff
> is done in KoFilterManager, not in KoMainWindow.

Hmmm... You don't know if you will need a filter at the moment when
you create/open the file dialog -> this has to be done in the KoMainW.
To add the dialogs you would have to call a KoFilterMgr method and if
you really need a filter you have to call e.g. 'import', too :)

> >Anyway, I like the XML-via-QString because it's easy and clean.
> You code, so you decide :-)

Well...I'll think about it.

> I don't have access to the code for another 2 days.
> How much is already implemented ?

There are some bytes sitting on my local hdd, but it's not much because
I was ill last week (and I even overslept the new year :((( )
I'll write some more stuff and check it in soon.

Werner