List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: AW: KWord: Text formatting
From:       claus wilke <claus.wilke () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-12-03 17:31:26

> <snip>
> Quite a good idea. But..aehm..what is TeX ?
> Is it the TeX that came with my distribution SuSE 6.3 and that is to be seen in the
> context of LaTeX / Lyx / KLyx ?
> Well, iŽll try that out. Give me a short hint.

Yes, you are on the right track :-).  TeX is a typography program, LaTeX is a
macropackage that makes it easier to write texts with TeX, and Lyx/Klyx are
graphical front ends to LaTeX (plain TeX/LaTeX just reads in an ASCII file
with text and typesetting commands and writes out the formated text
into something that is known as a DVI file).

If you want to see the difference in the layout algorithms, just take some
text (preferably German, the longer the words the more difficult the
typesetting), throw it into Lyx (so that you don't have to struggle with any
TeX-commands) and into KWord, MSWord, Star Office, or whatever, print it, and
compare the result. In almost all cases, the TeX-generated output will look
better, because TeX is averaging the white space over 5-6 lines, instead of
simply breaking the line whenever it is full.

On the long run, it might be worth while to have a similar algorithm in KWord,
although there is probably more urgent stuff to be done right now.

Claus
--
Claus Wilke
claus.wilke@gmx.net