List:       koffice
Subject:    AW: KWord: Text formatting
From:       "Schmidt, Frank-Andreas" <Frank-Andreas.Schmidt () sig ! siemens ! de>
Date:       1999-12-03 13:21:38

Claus wrote:

> Sorry, but Reggi is right here. Increasing the spaces between letters in a word
> is the worst typographical error you can do (and unfortunately, most modern
> word processors do this). Look at how TeX handles this. TeX has the best
> paragraph layouting algorithm around. And it never stretches words like that
> (one of the reasons TeX documents look so good).

Yes, now I see what reggi had in mind when creating this function.
In fact I somewhat tested wrong. Now, I tried WinWord with only one line, it does the same
as KWord. Only if thereŽs at least two lines it works.
And, I agree to Claus, it looks damn ugly.
So, we leave it alone under the circumstance that there will be a <soft return> ;).

> Same thing as above. If there is no space, and no hyphenation rule, then don't
> break the line. Try this out with TeX, and see what happens there. You might
> call it a bug, but actually its quite logical.

Quite a good idea. But..aehm..what is TeX ?
Is it the TeX that came with my distribution SuSE 6.3 and that is to be seen in the
context of LaTeX / Lyx / KLyx ?
Well, iŽll try that out. Give me a short hint.

> Another reason why TeX's output looks so good is that it doesn't consider the
> end of a line (here right boundary of a frame) a hard boundary. Words can stand
> some milimeters over the boundary if all other formatting options are worse
> (create more white space, in particular). The eye doesn't realize this as
> easily as it realizes white space, and the output looks better. Look at TeX
> output very closely and you will see it. One consequence of this algorithm is
> that the above happens when there is no place to break the line at all.

That sounds *very* logical. Mr. Spock would have agreed.