List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: AW: KWord: Text formatting
From:       claus wilke <claus.wilke () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-12-03 12:32:19

> <snip>
> Normally a paragraph is defined as the area between two "hard returns". As one
> wants to have lines broken without ending the paragraph she/he uses "soft returns".
> This envokes the possibility to use format commands
> on the whole paragraph  _without marking all lines because the wp ignors the
> "soft returns" on formatting purposes. Nevertheless, for printing operation
> "soft returns" are treated like "hard returns".
>
> Complicated thing, got it now ?
Yes, soft returns can be useful, in particular if you want a new line in an
itemized/enumerated list. Although they are problematic since if you have
them, you are temped to use visual instead of logical formatting. Anyway I
would vote for having them.

> <snip>
> > For me it works perfect! What does not work for you? Anybody else having this
> > problem?
> Give you the example:
> <align left>
> abcdefghijk          <return>
> <Blocksatz> should be like below, am I right ?
> a b c d e f g h i j k<return>
>
> Well, thats exactly what doesnīt function. The text remains left-aligned.
Sorry, but Reggi is right here. Increasing the spaces between letters in a word
is the worst typographical error you can do (and unfortunately, most modern
word processors do this). Look at how TeX handles this. TeX has the best
paragraph layouting algorithm around. And it never stretches words like that
(one of the reasons TeX documents look so good).

> <snip>
> > >3.) In standard-wordprocessing one can write without need to have a
> > ><return> at the end of the line. The text will continue automatically in the
> > >next line when the previous is filled with characters
> > >This does not function. The character output during typing stops at the border
> > >given by the page format and the cursor runs empty toward eternity.
> > >You will have to do a <hard return> to get the next line.
> >
> > This only happens if you have no space in the line.
> Thatīs right !

Same thing as above. If there is no space, and no hyphenation rule, then don't
break the line. Try this out with TeX, and see what happens there. You might
call it a bug, but actually its quite logical.

Another reason why TeX's output looks so good is that it doesn't consider the
end of a line (here right boundary of a frame) a hard boundary. Words can stand
some milimeters over the boundary if all other formatting options are worse
(create more white space, in particular). The eye doesn't realize this as
easily as it realizes white space, and the output looks better. Look at TeX
output very closely and you will see it. One consequence of this algorithm is
that the above happens when there is no place to break the line at all.

Best,
  Claus
--
Claus Wilke