List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: AW: KWord: Text formatting
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-12-03 12:12:24

On Fri, 03 Dec 1999, Schmidt, Frank-Andreas wrote:
>> >1.) I couldnīt find a function to make lines end with a "soft return"
>> >(I donīt know the English word for it: "Weiche Zeilenschaltung").
>> >That means that this line does not terminate a paragraph as a
>> >"hard return" does. In WinWord itīs done by using <shift><return>.
>>
>> I don't get it. What should this do?
>>
>Normally a paragraph is defined as the area between two "hard returns". As one
>wants to have lines broken without ending the paragraph she/he uses "soft returns".
>This envokes the possibility to use format commands
>on the whole paragraph  _without marking all lines because the wp ignors the
>"soft returns" on formatting purposes. Nevertheless, for printing operation
>"soft returns" are treated like "hard returns".
>
>Complicated thing, got it now ?

Well, yes. Never noticed this feature anywhere. Will put it on my todo list.

>> >2.) The format "Blocksatz" (damn: this time I forgot the menue item.)
>> >where the spaces within the lines are distributed between the words
>> >does not function at all.
>>
>> For me it works perfect! What does not work for you? Anybody else having this
>> problem?
>Give you the example:
><align left>
>abcdefghijk          <return>
><Blocksatz> should be like below, am I right ?
>a b c d e f g h i j k<return>
>
>Well, thats exactly what doesnīt function. The text remains left-aligned.

Sorry, I don't get this example. In blocksatz, just all spaces of a line are
expanded a bit so that the line finally fills the whole line and there is no
space left between the last char of a line and the right border. And that's
exactly what KWord does. Of course the last line of a paragraph is _not_
expanded that way, so you only see the blocksatz formatting if the parag has at
least 2 lines.

--
Reggie