I definitely agree that M$ WORD will be the yardstick , whether we like it or not. I have made futile attempts to convert our office to Star Office , and that only sadly underscores the point that linux is still not ready for the desktop , from users perspective. While KDE has gone a long way to bring linux on the desktop , there is still a lot of work to be done. KOffice will certainly do a hell lot of good in trying to persuade corporations. But we cant always be dictated by past , or else we wouldnt be having linux itself isnt it. I guess the shift has to be slow , but we can set an example by showing how wonderful this is. One common concern that I have come across in whatever forums I preach linux is that of customer support. When a company buys xyz product from so and so company , they know they can call up that company to help them in case of trouble. Now will there be such an authority for koffice?. I couldnt answer this question to my own satisfaction. vinny > The way I see it, and I agree with what dep said, but mind you this is > exactly what Amiga did do, make wordprocessors that where able to import > other file formats. They also managed to write std file formats that > were easily read. > I am not a programmer/developer, but a USER and as such the koffice > developers should be finding out what the users want now not later. > > I feel that it IS a major source of worry as WORD is definitely the > yardstick by which all else is measured and it is what users that > transfer to linux will want, no and ifs or buts. Most of the developers > lose sight of the fact that ultimately the users dictate the market, not > what you want them to have. No one is feeling hurt and I am looking > forward to the release of koffice but it does seem shortsighted to make > another NATIVE format. ---------------------------------- E-Mail: Vinodh Date: 26-Nov-99 Time: 14:06:48 And now for something completely the same. ----------------------------------