List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KSpread & KoStore?
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-11-21 19:51:55

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 08:40:22PM +0100, Werner Trobin wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 07:49:58PM +0100, Werner Trobin wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I'm using a CVS version from yesterday and I found out that
> > > KSpread does not use the tar storage (i.e. the files are saved
> > > as plain XML) for some strange reason.
> > >
> > > Can someone please enlighten me?
> >
> > All programs use the store.
> > But if they say they don't have child parts nor pictures, then the store
> > will store a simple XML file. Which is automatically detected when loading,
> > so everything works fine.
> > A tar file containing only an XML file is useless.
>

> Useless...but compressed!

Sure.
Actually the reason for simple XML files is that if one wants to import
it in another program, it's simple XML to parse. Ok, this breaks as soon
as you have pictures or embedded parts.

Should I disable this "XML only" saving (which comes back to the
very beginning of koffice, when there was almost never embedded parts or images) ?

Makes sense to me to use ONE format, so that external filters are easier to write.

Of course reading XML-only files will be kept, because of existing documents
(although tar cvzf would be an easy fix for those files !)

--
David FAURE
david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org