List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Tabs handled as characters and not spaces
From:       Erik Severinghaus <erik () linux ! com>
Date:       1999-11-14 22:14:37

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Erik Severinghaus wrote:
> >While "getting to know" the koffice code, I was writing a little
> >function that would make <ctrl><right arrow> move to the next word, and
> >began to have trouble with tabs. I decided to see how word-wrap handled
> >tabs, and found that it didn't. i.e. when the user types to the end of a
> >line, tabs, and continues typing, it wraps the first text, tab, and
> >second text to the next line. I'm assuming this is not the behaviour we
> >want. I tried changing KWFormatContext::makeLineLayout in fc.cc where it
> >checks for space characters to check for \t as well, but that did not
> >work, so I assume that \t != kword tabs. Just thought I would point this
> >out.
>
> Sorry, about what are you speaking? Of course the KWFormatContext handles tabs!

I'm sorry, I needed to qualify what I said about tabs. I didn't have a tab stop
set at the beginning of the line, and when I tabbed from one line, it moved to the
next line and to the tab set. When I moved back left, the cursor moved to the
beginning of the line, not to the beginning of the tab, and when I hit backspace,
it deleted characters but would not move cursor. Other funky behavior also.
I (being unfamiliar to the code) got confused :)  As far as that oddity goes,
perhaps we should always have a tab stop at the beginning of each line? Sorry for
the confusion

> Search for ID_KWCharTab in fc.cc and some other files.

Thanks, that cleared my confusion up.

> --
> Reggie

Erik