List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Python
From:       Avus <avvus () netscape ! net>
Date:       1999-09-30 15:49:43

> No I think the real reason is : lack of maintainer.

This is obviously important. But I think too many KDEisms may make things more
complicated in the end. With KScript there is a language interpreter to
maintain, not just a set of bindings. Maybe the creator of the KDE python
bindings would be interested.

As for KScript: In how far is its syntax compatible with python? Is it a kind
of 'plug-in python subset' for KOffice?

One of the reasons I'm asking is that I'm interested in Zope's object database
(ZODB v.3), which is largely implemented in python, and can be used
standalone. If python were to be the 'universal' scripting language of KDE
apps, ZODB could serve as a 'desktop database'. So, KOffice apps could save
XML files directly into the database, where they are catalogued. Mails,
postings etc. could be saved as persistent objects as well, thus creating a
comprehensive personal information storage that can be searched for specific
attributes and (XML tag) contents.
Information at your fingertips, as some clever marketing company would call
that ;-)

Avus