List:       koffice
Subject:    Releases (was Re: KOffice needs more developers!)
From:       Reginald Stadlbauer <reggie () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-09-18 21:37:41

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999, Hans Spaans wrote:
>Lasse Jansson wrote:

>> > * testers (there aren't so many people using it at the moment)
>>
>> OK, I volunteer as a tester. In my profession (telecom/Internet network
>> development) I am experienced in producing "compound documents" i.e. text,
>> tables, graphic figures etc. I also know what I want to do with koffice in my
>> spare time (before I can convince my employer on Linux/KDE). In my job I've
>> used Framemaker for 5 years (90-95, liked that), and MS Office from 95.
>>
>> Besides documenting the  development work I participate in I also have
>> experience from testing  As a tester I do see a problem with the debate on
>> freeze vs. non-freeze, but from another angle.
>>
>> I'd say what is needed is not a "freeze" but "a series of defined releases for
>> testing". This does not mean that the defined releases for testing must be
>> fixed for weeks/months in advance (after all there is no customer who will sue
>> you if you're late : ), but the most important from a testing point of view is
>> to know what is supposed to work in a current release and what is not supposed
>> to work. Since the people who are actually doing the development knows the most
>> on what is critical "at the moment" some guidelines from developers on areas of
>> particular interest at each defined release would probably speed up the
>> progress too.
>>
>> Comments ?
>>
>> Lasse
>
>Thats what I mean and as far as I know thats called a feature-freeze,
>because a feature-freeze can be used to test the software and get the
>software running. This doesn't mean you may not change the existing
>code, but you may not add new code. It gives developers the time todo
>testing, because the they have to worry about new code. There is also a
>code-freeze this is used when you're going to release software and are
>only looking for 'bugs', but this is not what I mean.

As I already said once there is a release plan for the KRASH release which
AFAIK also includes KOffice (Waldo, is this now the case? If not I think
KOffice should be icluded together with kdebase). So we follow this and there is
no reason for freezing earlier! But because of the changes in the corba stuff,
which Simon, David and Matthias started today, I guess we will have to delay
this release anyway a bit, right?

So new features will and can be at least added until 1. Nov. Actually I think
I will be able to add the things, which I want to add to KWord and KPresenter
before a first release, in this time, as it is not that many stuff anymore :-))

But I still don't understand why everybody (or everybody except the
active KOffice developers :-) suddenly wants a freeze ASAP. Testing and fixing
can and should be done also if there is no freeze! :-)

--
Reggie