List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Implementing hyphenation / wordwrap for Thai
From:       Jo Dillon <emily () thelonious ! new ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1999-09-10 10:06:20

Rudiger Koch (rkoch@sas.co.th) spake thusly:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 1999, Jo Dillon wrote:
> >   Well, it's certainly something worth working on. The trouble is it's hard
> > for European or American developers to work on something like this since
> > they don't know the language :) Perhaps you could explain in more detail
> > what would be required?
> >

> Fortunatelly the code to do the actual Thai word separation is already
> available. It currently works as command line utility for HTML and LaTeX. In
> the case of HTML a <WBR> tag is inserted between all words. The <WBR> tag
> tells the browser that this is a _potential_ position to break a line. It
> does not create a gap (whitespace) between words, though.

  Ok, I think I see. Hmmm, I don't know exactly how kword represents
text internally, but I suspect it's possible to have some sort of marker
within the structures holding the text.

> We just need a new interface to make the code usable with K-Applications.
> Since hyphenation is a similar linebreak problem, I suggest to tackle both
> with the aproach to be chosen which would probably be an API or a CORBA
> interface to provide this service to applications. I am just asking for help
> to define this interface.

  I would suggest loadable shared libraries for each language - CORBA
is probably a bit heavyweight. Hmmm - are there any other problems
with Asian languages we can't handle? It would be useful to have
general support for Chinese/Thai/Korean and so forth to match the Unicode
support in Qt 2.0. Do we support text going top-to-bottom/right-to-left? :)

--

	Jo