List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problem: Close & Exit
From:       "Troy Unrau" <jhtd () mts ! net>
Date:       1999-09-09 3:56:13

Personally, I'd say that this is more of an MDI, SDI issue.  There are
variations of each that exist throughout KDE, and this needs to be
standardized before we should even consider the Close/Exit problem.

The few variations of MDI that exist each have their advantages and
disadvantages.  I'll list a few that I've encountered:

o1o  Espen Sand is attempting to implement a tabbed document bar that sits
right above the actual document workspace.  These tabs would contain the
names of the open documents and could be switched between by clicking on the
tabs.  The tab bar could also be disabled through the view menu and one
could switch documents through the "Window" menu.  I'm not sure what the
menu is called, but it was something to that extent.  I am also not sure if
this implementation is completed yet, but he was to test it in KHexEdit.

o2o  Mosfet and the artists have been working on a more MS Windows-like MDI
for use in KImageShop.  This uses a large window with many smaller
independent windows which are semi-independent.

o3o  KDockWidget (I think; could be wrong) is being used as a base for MDI
where the extra docs or smaller windows just attach to the main window as
though they were toolbars.

o4o  There is also SDI derived MDI which has things such as New Window and
such and so forth.  This is the most inconsistent of all the listed MDI-like
interfaces.

The above listed all have their pro's and con's.

PRO's
=====

o1o  This is probably the most user friendly of the above MDI's.  It is
different than the feel of MS Windows, and yet very user friendly and would
solve the Clode/Exit problem.

o2o  This is the MDI that most people are familiar with, and works very well
with programs such as KImageShop and IDE's.

o3o  KDockWidget is (so I've been told) easy to program for and can be used
in a variety of situations.  As I don't know to much about it, I will
refrain from saying anything as to misinform anyone.

o4o  This is probably the most flexable of the aforementioned.

Cons
====

o1o  This is not developed fully yet, and may not be very adaptible.  It is
also not possible to spread documents accross desktops, nor to have more
than one visible simultaneously.  This may raise some problems for DND, but
this could be over come in such a way as that you have drag something over a
tab, let it hover for a moment, and it would change to that document for an
easy insert.  I am not sure as to whether this is to be standardized or not.
Perhaps we should contact Espen.

o2o  This is not very nice on the eyes, nor does is permit docs to be
present on other desktops, however, you wouldn't have the DND problem
mentioned above.

o3o  This is also no cross desktop compatible either, but it is asthetically
appealing.  It may not be good for having very many docs open.

o4o  This is a lot more flexible, but here is where you get the major
Close/Exit problems, and ease of use issues.

=====

My personal opinions is that the solution that Espen (1) offers is the best
suited to everyone's need provided that the DND stuff was working.  It would
be very easy for end-users, and the menu options could consist of "Close
File" and "Exit."  If all the document driven apps follows this method, it
would create a clean interface leading to good screen real-estate, good hci,
and most likely rather easy implementation.  If DND worked, I would vouch
for this type of DND.  It should be allowable to have multiple instances
open in order to have different docs on different desktops.

The KDockWidget and KImageShop-like MDI's would work very well for apps such
as IDE's, and graphics programs (wanting to see multiple things at once).
I'll assume that if we make a standard, there will be allowable exceptions,
however I would /very/ strongly suggest a unification of MDI.

Comments, Corrections, Flames, and Money (I wish) are welcome