List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KTar+first draft
From:       Hans Meine <hans_meine () gmx ! net>
Date:       1999-09-08 22:45:57

On Thu, 09 Sep 1999, David Faure sent some bits over the net composing to the following:
>Thanks for sending me the files.
>Before I start coding anything (and why MICO is compiling :))
;-)
>I'd like to make sure about some points :
>
>You suggested a layout like :
>
>lab-report (dir) +- lab-report.kwd (gzipped file)
>                 |- part0.ksp (gzipped file)
>                 |- part1.ksp (gzipped file)
>                 |- part2.kdg (gzipped file)
>                 |- ...
>                 |- part8.kdg (gzipped file)
>                 |- KFormula(DIR) +- part9.kfa(FILE)
>                 |- Pictures(DIR) +- picture0.jpg(FILE)
>                 |                |- picture1.png(FILE)
>                 |                 \ picture2.wmf(FILE)
>                  \ summary.ko(FILE)
>
>0) Why gzip files separately inside a tar.gz file ?
>Torben's KTar handles tgz files, and I would prefer a tar.gz than separately
>gzipped files in a tar archive. Especially when manually looking into it.
Access to some specific elements in the file should be faster with the upper
proposal AFAIK(?). OTOH, I cannot come up with cases where that's needed at the
moment.

>1) File for embedded parts are in the layout above XML files, right ?  =>
>1a) General question : it's not possible to embed a part inside an embedded part,
>is it ? If it is (or should be) then we need to make the .ksp, .kdg, ... files
>above tar.gz files as well (recursive tar.gz ! Fun to handle !). Don't know, can't
>test anything right now... Any expert for that question ?
I am DEFINITLY NO expert but if IMHO it should be possible. ;-))

>3) What's the toplevel dir useful for ? For people using tar xzf on it ? Hmm...
>No opinion in fact.
I think it's nice for tar xvzf and does not hurt elsewhere... ;-)

Just my 2 cents while MICO is compiling... 8-)
 --

Ciao,
   /  /