List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problem: Close & Exit
From:       Jost Schenck <uzsnty () uni-bonn ! de>
Date:       1999-09-08 10:11:52

On Wed, 08 Sep 1999, Peter Penz wrote:
> So my question to you is:
> SHOULD WE THROW OUT THE EXIT AND ONLY HAVE A CLOSE?

I think for KOffice this makes sense. Having several views open doesn't start
several instances of the server, if I understood this correctly. As there's
reference counting, the server should be shutdown correctly when all views have
been closed. So there's absolutely no need for EXIT, only for CLOSE.

This would be different if we'd be using the type of MDI interface QWorkspace
will offer and M$ Office has - as then all docs would be children of one
window, the distinction between exit and close *would* make sense.
However, I'd hate this solution, as I like to arrange my docs freely and maybe
on different desktops.

> PS: To MAC-experienced users: how does the Mac solve this problem?

The Mac shows only views as windows - the only thing you can see of the actual
"application" is the menu bar. When you "close" all views, the program stays in
memory; you can still reach its menu bar with the task switcher until you
"exit". If you're not accustomed to Mac, this easily makes you collect
application instances until memory gets low. (I don't know if this has changed
in more recent OS versions)

While I like the "document centric" thing (BTW coming from the Mac, not from
Windows 95, as Simon suggests in his IDEAS-file for konqueror ;-), I think the
KOffice solution is much better than the way the Mac handles it.

 -Jost.

--
Jost Schenck
jost@schenck.de