List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Printing "strange" fonts
From:       Leon Widdershoven <l.widdershoven () fz-juelich ! de>
Date:       1999-09-01 14:31:15

Jim McCusker wrote:

[SNIP]
> > As printing is done using postscript only fonts which are also
> > available as postscript fonts on your sestem can be printed. All other
> > fonts
> > (e.g. TrueType) are replaced by some postscript fonts for printing, so
> > you get
> > a different result. Printing is really a pain under Unix :-((
>
> Hmm. Maybe (and this is something more for KDE in general) we should set
> up some sort of font rasterization if the font isn't postscript. We can
> then embed the bitmap in the postscript, and send that.
>
> Of course, it would also be nice to be able to just send page images
> directly to the printer...

I hope you don't mean that sending postscriptized 24 bit TIFF images
to the printer is default....

Besides, I actually dislike non-postscript due to the simple fact
taht for instance circles are rendered at maximum printer resolution
in postscript, and probably significantly less if its not postscript.

But then again, a level 0 postscript file probably always prints:)
(
0 0 0 setrgbcolor
41 82 drawpoint
0 0 0 setrgbcolor
42 83 drawpoint
)
[NOTE: This was for illustration ONLY: I don't speak PostScript that
well]

--
Leon Widdershoven                (l.widdershoven@fz-juelich.de)
Institute of Plasma Physics      Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH