List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Question about kimageshop creation reasons
From:       Keith Antoine <kantoine () eastwind ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-08-24 23:21:13

Gidday,

> > I see you are creating an alternative to the gimp. Thereby creating
> > competition on the open source world.

This would be one of the best things that could happen to OpenLinux, for
it spurs on the develpement of high quality software instaed of being
complacent with what is given to you. Gimp is in no way, as yet in the
same league as PSP 5.0 for windows and this is the type of yardstick
that users will judge it by. BTW that is what I want.

> > I know the gimp doesn't really have an evolutionary future right
> now.
> > But is it really worth al that effort to recreate a program
> (kimageshop)
> > that already exists under the gpl ?

Absolutely it is, this will push gimp programmers to do better, rather
than lay back on their laurels.

> > I sure hope you're reusing the gimp code as much as you can.
> > Hey, maybe it's my problem. But, I find it annoying every time I see
> two
> > open source projects trying to build the same thing. Evn more so
> when
> > one of them (in this case gimp) has already reached a more or less
> > finished state. I find it such a waste of effort just when we (the
> open
> > source / linux community) need to try to make as much "different"
> apps
> > as we can as quick as possible. So as to overtake the desktop world
> with
> > open sourced apps.

Yes I guess you do have a problem...........................

> > When the desktop is ours I don't care how many people try to write
> the
> > same app over and over. But untill then it's just slowing us down.

Hey we have been slowed down for years, I started into Linux in 93 and
its only getting better now in 99. All beacuse of programmers and geeks
who felt that it was good enough for them , then that it was good enough
for anyone.

I have only just joined this list in the hope that I maybe able to
assist in Documentation, as I am not a programmer and hence would help
write the Docs/manuals, without any assumptions that the reader has a
certain level/amount of knowledge.
Being an 'old' person and also an Aussie I write English without an
accent unlike all those Poms (english) <grin>

--
Regards
Keith

Keith Antoine        | Eastwind Internet Services 07 3300 2161
18 Arkana St         | Internet Service Providor and Web Hosting
The Gap                | kantoine@eastwind.com.au
--http://www.eastwind.com.au
Queensland 4061  | Rtd Electronics Engineer & Brisbanes' Geriatric ISP
Australia                | System run by Caldera OpenLinux 2.2:  The
only way to fly!