List:       koffice
Subject:    [Fwd: KOffice storage structure]
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       1999-08-18 17:12:35

Just to keep the discussion/suggestions/ideas/... on the list.

Werner

From: "Aulick, Adam" <adam.aulick@smawins.com>
To: "'Werner Trobin <wtrobin@carinthia.com>'" <wtrobin@carinthia.com>
Subject: KOffice storage structure
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:48:07 -0400

Howdy,
I was just reading
http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~navindra/kde-devel/kwn-14/ko-storage-spec.txt,
in particular the section:

1) Name of the KOffice Files:
I think it is important to show that the file is a tgz-archieve, so I
suggest
using filenames like "MyLetter.kwd.tgz", "Sales.ksp.tgz", or
"Meeting.kpr.tgz".

I agree that it is nice if the name shows the file to be a tgz, but
it seems that the vast majority (all?) file managers determining file type
from
the filename would pass these files to an archive utility for opening,
rather
than to the appropriate KOffice application.  I am not so experienced in
these
issues.  Am I missing something?  What information does the KDE file manager

use to determine file types, (for choosing icons, command line to open file,

etc.)?

 ~Adam Aulick