List:       koffice
Subject:    [Fwd: Koffice storage format]
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       1999-08-14 12:39:52

Some thoughts of Maurice...I forwarded them, because I think this
should be discussed on the list!

Werner

From: "Maurice Gittens" <mgittens@gits.nl>
To: <wtrobin@carinthia.com>
Subject: Koffice storage format
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 11:22:52 +0200

Hi Werner,

I read your first draft with interest and I have the following suggestion.

I suggest keeping the structure you've defined and I propose to avoid
specifying the type of the document in it's name.

In may view when the user selects the file some magic should ensure
the the correct shell (Kword, KSPread etc) is launched for the file.

This way the contents of the file is encapsulated the user doesn't have
to worry about the details of how the program should be lauched.

So basically I saying since Koffice is component based, the type of the file
should be visible in it's name. The system should take care of this burden.

With regards from Maurice.

PS: Won't it be nice if MS Office would then "borrow" this feature?