List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice development
From:       Michael Koch <m_koch () bigfoot ! de>
Date:       1999-08-03 8:43:42

> Since two weeks I try to compile the current snapshots
> of KDE and KOffice.
> KDE is compilable most of the time, sometimes failes.
> KOffice _always_ fails.
> I do use Kernel 2.2.9, egcs1.1.2, nothing special.
> Compilation fails with errors like:

Same Kernel, same compiler, no problems.

> koDocument.cc:173: no match for `QRect & = int'

KOffice ist compilable for me for a long time, except the BIG HACK by Torben
and Reggie and some changes in kdelibs.

KOffice is hard to install, I know. That's because of the much preferences. You
need ver much other software. When the other software is installed correctly,
you will have no great problems with KOffice.

You said that KOffice is unstable. That's the privilege of software in the
ALPHA state. We want to have a stable release. Therefore we need much helping
hands to make it stable, to test it, to code, to write documentation ... you
know what I mean.

IMHO the best way to enforce KOffice development is to get new members in the
team. Currently there are about 5-10 hardcore developers on it. That's not
enough for a whole office suite. Some software companies have hundred
developers for a word processing application, we have only Reggie ( he is quite
good as hundred other developers ;-) ) for this job.

We need interested people to make KOffice the KILLER APP of the new millenium.
There is much work to do, therefor we need each helping hand we can get.

CU
Michael

--
Michael Koch

KDE fan, enthusiast and developer

student of computer science at university of applied sciences of Darmstadt, Germany

koch@kde.org, m_koch@bigfoot.de, mkoch@mail.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de
http://www.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de/~mkoch