List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: DOM :-((
From:       Werner Trobin <wtrobin () carinthia ! com>
Date:       1999-07-26 18:49:59

Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Harri Porten wrote:
> >Reginald Stadlbauer wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi!
> >> As you know Torben and me hacked DOM into the KOffice in the last time.
> >> Unfortunately we had some strange problems which we couldn't fix now. So I
> >> we decided to revert the changes and we are using koml (and also STL again)
> >> for now, so that KOffice is no longer broken and development can go on.
> >
> >If you need more time feel free to experiment a bit more ! No ones
> >pushing. It doesn't matter if koffice is still broken for some time if
> >the result is good and satisfies you.
>
> It wasn't that we needed more time for trying around with it, it already
> worked really great. But suddenly more and more stopped working,
> destructures were called without any reason, and even more strange things
> happened - we debugged a lot, but it was not possible to find where the real
> problems were. It was really wired! So we gave up for now and will try it later
> again.

IMHO the problem about "trying later" is, that the later we will
switch to mini-STL+tinyMICO and so on the harder the transition
will be.
Sure, no real problem, but at the moment we are still quite used
to fast moving targets and compilation problems (Hi Qt-2.0 :)

Therefore it would be great to let the gurus develop a nifty
roadmap (or some basic timing at least). No "deadlines" of
course and no "this is the plan so we *must* achieve this nasty
goal in the next weak"-plan, just some *very* basic thoughts
(e.g. which ORB, STL or mini-STL, DOM,...you know what I mean :)
Then browse through these topics and sort them that the order
makes sense. After that some basic timing (e.g. OK, DOM till
November or December, and if not - who cares :)

Werner, still shocked about Reggie´s debugging session: 20:00 till
07:00 %-|