List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice websites
From:       Jeremy Blosser <jblosser () firinn ! org>
Date:       1999-07-24 20:08:47

Alexander N. Kanaev [alexander.kanaev@interped.su.se] wrote:
> 2) after experimenting with frames, I finally gave up =) KFM got alot of
> restrictions... even in simple tables you can't specify the height, only the
> width =)

Height for tables is not part of HTML 4.0 (outside of CSS) and shouldn't be
used.  If you /have/ to specify a table height it's still best to use an
invisible small gif sized appropriately.

> Comments? people just don't kill me... it was simply a try =))

Well, it's something at least, which is better than the rest of us have
done (though I /did/ get a base KImageshop one delivered yesterday ;)

negative:
- The color scheme... first, the first one is too dark.  Enough people hate
dark pages (I'm not one of them) that we should stick with a white
background.  The third example you have has the best color scheme.
However, the blue and stuff aren't ideal.  For one thing, they aren't part
of the "web safe palette".  We need to stick to this because if people have
low color monitors their browsers will dither colors and such and you have
/no/ idea what they'll end up with... I've seen some pretty bizarre
dithering.

- The layout... well it's rather clever, but I don't think it can work.  It
wastes far too much screen space.  Not only do you have the blank boxes,
you also have a fixed width for the table.  If I'm reading along and there
is a lot of text and I want to make my screen wider to fit more on, it does
me no good at all.  So my wide monitor I paid good money to have is no use
to me here :(  Conversely, if I have a skinny window set up to keep it out
of my way, I have to resize it for this site.  If I just have a low res
display I have to scroll.  Both of these things annoy people, and fixed
widths should be avoided as much as possible.

I also must say I find the layout confusing.  There's not a logical
progression of links.

- Using full images to space the empty table cells is not that great on
memory/bandwidth.  If you want to force height it's still better to use
1x1 invis gifs and stretch them.  But I know you just wanted to get
something to show for now.

positives:
- I really like the embedded partial screenshots.  We should use these on
whatever we end up with.  We need to make sure they load *fast* though,
they are somewhat big (in terms of geometry).

- The HTML is almost all 4.0 compliant already.

- You obviously have graphical/design talent -- if anything this site is
/too/ artsy.

I'm hoping to find time today to work up another possible design, as well
as submit needed changes to the existing one so it can stay on top of
things while we do the redesign.

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   jblosser@firinn.org   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/