List:       koffice
Subject:    KOffice websites
From:       Jeremy Blosser <jblosser () firinn ! org>
Date:       1999-07-23 9:06:41

Hi.  Sorry to come late to the discussion, I hope this is still the place
for it.

I'm going to be maintaining the KImageshop site, so I need to hook in with
whatever discussion is going on.  I've read the recent stuff from the
archive, looks like this is a good time to jump on board.

A few comments on the past discussion:

- I'd agree that we shouldn't use frames.  It takes a bit more work to find
a solution for what's needed without using them, but it's worth it to not
have the frames problems of not knowing what URL you are viewing, etc.  The
main reason I can see to use them would be to keep a set of common info on
each of the project pages, but that can easily be handled using SSI and
tables*.  I know we can't have scripts on the server, but is SSI at least ok?
It's not really scripting, just #including text together (.shtml files).

*We could use inline frames instead of tables to get the best of both
worlds, but I'll guess KFM doesn't do inline frames yet... will have to
check that.

- We of course have to make stuff that KFM is ok with.  I understand this
currently means no CSS or JavaScript -- out of curiosity, are there plans
to add CSS or ECMA/JavaScript support?  CSS isn't any kind of fad or fluff,
it's a very needed part of HTML.  A DOM is less necessary, but can be very
useful (when it isn't doing annoying things like making pop off windows you
didn't ask for).

Just wondering how long we'll have these restrictions.

- We definitely need to be judicious in our use of graphics.  These are
graphical apps, so we obviously need screenshots, and we want something
that looks nice, but kde.org already loads slow enough for me from the
midwest US.  But there's a lot we can do to make sure the images we do use
load as quickly as possible.

- How is the propsed site map coming?  I get the impression the developers
want/need a news site ASAP.  We should get the idea-talking done soon so we
can get something there.

- Has any "division of labor" happened yet or are we just seeing who gets
what done?  Would it be worth it to mention what parts we're interested in
working on so we get it done easily?  A good web site needs (1) content/
overall sitemap handled, (2) visual design/layout to render 1) the best
way, (3) graphics work done to realize 2), and (4) people who know HTML
and browsers to put it all together.  Not that we need exactly 4 people,
these all overlap of course, but those are the general tasks.  We'd also
normally need script/CGI and server people, but it sounds like those are
being handled elsewhere.

Anyway, I'm primarily interested in (4) and to a somewhat lesser extent in
(2).  My wife's also planning to help out (not on this list yet) and she'd
prolly go for (2) and (3).

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   jblosser@firinn.org   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/