List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice websites
From:       Rudiger Koch <rkoch () sas ! co ! th>
Date:       1999-07-18 5:35:25

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Khaled Blah wrote:

> > 2. We start a discussion about how to structure the new site and which features
> > to put in (hope the other subscribers don't kill us for that ;-)
>
> The style? What about frames, Java or JavaScript, CSS or anything else?
> I think we should let the sites be KFM-compliant, which would mean
> that we couldn't use Java/JS or CSS.

Yeah, the tools.... I agree not to ask much from the client. What about the
server side? Is there PHP3, Perl, mod_perl or Zope? Is there a DBMS? Once I know
that I can set up a httpd on zeus.sas.co.th. Who is the admin of the koffice
box, anyway?

With server side scripting, we can do neat things like
- polls
- a knowledge base
- a base of useful koffice scripts
- bug tracking system or trouble ticket

and, if that is agreed on, "commercial" things like:

- a board where companies can post problems, service requests or the like:
   KDE wizards can then react on such a posting, offering a price for this
   service. Similar to the "SourceExchange", but for smaller or company
   specific things called "in house programming"
        Example: retrieving data via 3270 from a DL/1 database running
        on OS/390 and put it into a K-spreadsheet.

-Rudiger
--
 Software Advanced Solutions
 48 Villa 1 Yaowarat Soi 1

 // Why use Windows when the door is open and free of charge?
 // Linux: The choice of a GNU generation