List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: mico installation and linuxppc ...
From:       Shirley Chang <shirley.chang () usa ! net>
Date:       1999-07-06 20:19:14

I'm a newbie also so please forgive me if anything I said here is wrong
(and please correct me so I know next time).  I probably don't know
what I'm doing but I'm just going on a trial-and-error-and-reinstall mode.

Anyway, I run into a similar problem while compiling Koffice.  Before I
go further, I have to describe my config because it explains
probably why my setup works (more like observation than a solution)

I'm running LinuxPPC Release 5 on a Powermac 7300.  With R5, autoconf,
automake, python 1.5.1 (and the other libs) are already installed as
rpm format.  I checked and saw a mico and a mico-devel rpm and I
installed
those.  Later I realized I needed to compile mico because i needed to issue
the --disable-mini-stl command.  So I used kpackage to uninstall mico.

Then I did the rest: compiled mico, corba (because I'm using qt-1.4),
kdelibs and finally, koffice.  I ran into a similar situation.
It can find mico-cpp but can't execute it.  So I issued a 'locate' to
find the mico-cpps on my machine and I found these:

/usr/bin/mico-cpp

and a mico-cpp under /usr/local/bin (where i untar and compile all my
sources) .
So I thought maybe the one in /usr/bin is the one that was installed by
my old
mico rpm (i know ppc rpms will put mico stuff in one directory and when
I compile
mico, it will probably put mico stuff in another....) so I renamed
this mico-cpp and copied the mico-cpp from my /usr/local/bin  to /usr/bin.
I tried to make all again, this time, things go well (except for a few
more hiccups)

I'm not sure if this applies to you.  My guess is that, it can't find
the file,
i'll put it there.  Somewhere along the installation, I had this sort of
problem again.  I just copied the file over ....  This may be the reason I'm
sometimes getting seg fault.  (price to pay for doing what you don't know)

um...usually, by posting my stupid observations, I get some smart responses
from people who know the stuff.  Hopefully, this will happen and I'll learn
something again.

But i'm very very very very happy that koffice(for Qt1.4) has compiled
and works now on my little setup.  Thanks to all who put in so much work.
and thanks to users like Daniel who is willing to share with us how to
get the installation working.  It is a great community!

overjoyed shirley